Australian wine is authentic, exciting and bold – just like the people who create it. With the vision for Australia to be recognized as the world’s pre-eminent wine producer, Wine Australia and its dynamic team play a vital role in supporting the sector to achieve this through global marketing, managing research and development, and protecting the reputation of Australian wine. Wine Australia is the service body for the Australian grape and wine sector.
Wine Australia will continue investing in the US market as part of its Strategic Plan 2020–25. A key focus in this market is to execute commercial programs that lift category visibility and deliver value to trade partners and stakeholders. These programs range from retail campaigns to wholesaler incentives and other activities that further drive the premiumization of the Australian category.
The Business Development Manager (BDM) plays a key role in the achievement of Wine Australia’s objectives to grow awareness and availability of premium Australian wine in the US market.
The successful candidate will have knowledge of retail category management, credibility with decision makers and the ability to create and execute effective sales programs. Reporting to the Regional General Manager (RGM) and working with key accounts, importers and wholesalers, the BDM is responsible for assembling and executing promotional activity that delivers reportable commercial outcomes and drives positive messaging for Australian wine.
Key responsibilities will include:
Chain Account Management
- Secure Wine Australia promotional initiatives and develop programs that deliver value to key accounts and stakeholders
- Maintain high-level contacts
- Drive positive messaging for Australian wine among chain accounts
- Use Nielsen, IRI and other research products to frame opportunities for Australian wines and regions.
- Program Management
- Own the planning, execution and reporting of promotional programming
- Identify promotional opportunities for wineries to invest in directly (user-pays activites)
- Develop and implement detailed project plans that keep multiple activations on track and within budget
- Communicate the status and progress of projects frequently
- Use Wine Australia print, digital and social assets to maximize branding and awareness.
- Own and manage planning, execution and reporting of activities aligned to Wine Australia’s Strategic Plan
- Create detailed plans that support clear commercial outcomes
- Assemble and manage third-party contractors as required
- Ensure content delivers Wine Australia key messages.
- Work with the RGM to influence major wholesalers and create programming opportunities for Australian wine
- Collaborate with the education team to deliver Australian Wine Discovered content and messaging to sales teams.
You will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration or similar and ideally a Graduate degree in a related field
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in senior wine sales and marketing role with national responsibilities
- A proven track record of sales and distributor management
- Strong creative, strategic and analytical skills
- A high-level understanding of trade association marketing strategy
- An ability to build, develop and maintain contacts with key stakeholders
- An ability to achieve accountability from program participants
- An ability to develop strong briefs
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a commitment to working with in cross-functional teams
- Excellent written communication skills and the ability to develop a variety of targeted, engaging content and communications
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects/events from start to finish with minimal supervision
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office range of products with additional experience working with databases, project management tools and other work management and digital platforms, and
- Excellent financial management and budgeting skills.
Please send your cover letter and resumé detailing your suitability for this role by email to email@example.com.