Retailers and restaurants across New York City celebrated the second annual Aussie Wine Week on 10–14 September 2018. The week-long event featured 11 Australian winemakers and an expanded line-up of trade and consumer events – all of which were designed to drive awareness of Australian wine in the USA market.
Wine Australia invested additional funding in 2018-19 to expand activities across the week, extend on-premise engagement, enhance social, public relations and media activities and reach a broader consumer audience. The expanded program was part of a concerted effort to drive demand for Australian wine in the USA, supported by the Australian Government’s $50 million Export and Regional Wine Support Package
There was also investment in planning and logistics in 2018-19 to expand the event even further in 2019-20, with plans to get more than 100 Australian wineries in-market for the inaugural Aussie Wine Month USA in September 2019. Wine Australia coordinated with importers, distributors, wineries and venues, with a view to hitting the USA market en masse in 2019 with a series of showcase events, including a second edition of Australia Decanted.
Highlights of Aussie Wine Week 2018 included:
- a record number of retailers conducted in-store consumer tastings throughout the week
- a distributor brunch, where stakeholders enjoyed a sneak preview of what’s in store for the inaugural Aussie Wine Month 2019
- consumer/VIP Media tasting function in New York City
- social media campaign in the USA to seed key messaging around Australian Wine Made Our Way
- on-premise activation in New York and other USA cities to drive consumer awareness, and
- Australian Wine Made Our Way tasting for trade in New York.
14 September 2018 – New York City embraces Aussie Wine Week 2018
Australian winemakers who participated in Aussie Wine Week 2018
- Cameron Ashmead, Elderton Wines
- Reid Bosward, Kaesler Winery
- Peter Dillon, Handpicked Wines
- Steph Dutton, Penfolds
- Dean Hewitson, Hewitson Wines
- Andrew Higgins, McWilliams
- Steve James, Voyager Estate
- Ray Nadeson, Lethbridge Wines
- Paul Smith, Wirra Wirra
- Damon Koerner, Koerner Wines
- Fergal Tynan, Thistledown Wines
Australian Wine Made Our Way Trade Tasting
Download the list of brands that were showcased at the Australian Wine Made Our Way Trade Tasting.