The Australian Government is investing $500,000 in the craft* cider industry over two years to build a brand proposition and marketing strategy aimed at boosting exports, as part of the $50 million Export and Regional Wine Support Package.
The purpose of the funding to take craft cider businesses to the next level by building knowledge of potential export markets and developing improved understanding for accessing these markets.
Cider Australia and Wine Australia have engaged internationally experienced brand strategist, Guy Taylor, to develop a brand proposition to market ‘Australian craft cider’ internationally that can be leveraged by Australian cider producers.
Insights from the Australian craft cider industry are crucial in shaping this work. Guy is currently reaching out to craft cider producers across the country to get their ideas and opinions on the ‘story’ of Australian craft cider.
A further step will be to develop a Go-To-Market strategy and a ‘toolkit’ to assist producers to understand prospective export markets and navigate the rules and complexities associated with exporting to those markets. The Australian wine sector has developed an international reputation and exports 61 per cent of its production. The Australian craft cider industry also has the potential to achieve growth through building export markets.
Regular updates on the cider program and information on opportunities to contribute will be posted on the Cider Australia website.
The program is being delivered by Wine Australia, which is administering the $50m Package for the wine and cider industries, guided by a work plan subject to agreement from the Australian Government, Cider Australia and other key stakeholders.
*‘Australian craft cider’ is cider produced in Australia using fresh Australian fruit ingredients.
The program will deliver the following outcomes:
- a thorough understanding of the potential export markets for Australian cider, including the channels to market that provide the best return
- a compelling brand proposition that can be leveraged by Australian cider producers
- a go-to-market (GTM) strategy that can be utilised effectively by the majority of producers to access export destinations, and
- strategy that can be utilised effectively by the majority of producers to access export destinations, and
- an easy to access toolkit that provides the necessary information to enable a producer to successfully export, including the export analysis, brand and GTM collateral.
The program is designed to provide the following outcomes for Australian cider producers:
- industry support of the brand and strategy
- increase the number of producers exporting from 7 to 20, and
- increase export revenue from $16.5m to $20m by 2019-20.
26 March 2018 - $500k plan to market Australian craft cider overseas
17 May 2018 – International focus for Australian cider
Brand proposition ‘story’ gathering interviews with cider producers
Brand proposition testing / consultation with cider producers
From August 2018
Brand proposition launch
Appointment of go-to-market strategy supplier
Selection of export market targets
More information will be made available in the coming months. In the meantime, subscribe to keep up to date on the latest $50m Package news.