About the report
This is a summary of statistics relevant to the South Australia wine industry, including grape production farmgate value, wine processing value and gross wine revenue.
This is an annual sector snapshot produced by Primary Industries and Regions South Australia, using data from Wine Australia, ABS and other sources to estimate the values along the value chain from grape production through production and sales and determine how the value of food and wine grapes increases from the vine to the plate.
Statistics measured include:
- Farmgate value of production
- Imports and exports
- Interstate trade
- Retail sales
- Hospitality and service and sales contribution
Key indicators of the South Australian Wine ScoreCard for 2016-17 include:
- A total area of 75,624 hectares of winegrape producing vines, with average yield estimated at 11.4 tonnes per hectare
- Farmgate value of grapes was $658 million in 2016-17 – an increase of $77 million or 13 per cent over the year
- Average price per tonne of winegrapes increased by 7 per cent from $710 to $762 per tonne.
- Overseas export value increased by $140 million (11 per cent) to $1.48 billion
- Gross wine revenue grew to $2.36 billion – an increase of $240 million (11 per cent)
The scorecard also provides time series data for the volume and value of grape production, average grape prices and processed wine value over the past 16 years.
Similar scorecards are also published for the food sector and for food and wine combined. Previous years’ scorecards are also available. Find out more here.
About the source
The Wine ScoreCard is produced by Primary Industries and Regions South Australia on an annual basis, using data supplied by VineHealth Australia, Wine Australia and the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).