Licence to export

The first step is to read the Wine Australia Compliance Guide. Once this has been completed, the licence application is ready to begin.

The regulations require exporters of grape products to be licensed where individual shipments exceed 100 litres. Wine Australia considers each application against the following set of criteria outlined in Regulation 5(3):

  • the financial standing of the applicant;
  • whether the applicant has a place of business in Australia;
  • the applicant's ability to obtain grape products from Australian suppliers;
  • matters applicable to the person that relate to the promotion of the export of grape products, including matters that may affect adversely the export trade in grape products;
  • any other matters relating to the promotion of the export of grape products, including the number of licences in force authorising the export of grape products in respect of which the applicant has applied for a licence; and
  • whether Wine Australia has cancelled a licence held by the applicant; and
  • if the applicant is an individual – whether Wine Australia has cancelled a licence held by a corporation of which the applicant was a director or a shareholder who held a controlling interest.

Licences can only be granted to a legal entity; either an individual or an incorporated body. Licences are not transferable, but an exporter may give permission to another exporter to ship their products as an Associated Exporter. Licences are renewable annually.

Applying for a Licence to Export

Remember; before commencing an application online, it’s essential to read the Wine Australia Compliance Guide, as this contains crucial information relating to the licence and exporting wine in general.

The application will ask whether you are a Wine Grapes Levy Payer or a Wine Export Charge Payer only. All licensed exporters pay the Wine Export Charge, whereas a Wine Grapes Levy payer is a person who also pays a separate levy based on the volume of grapes crushed when the winemaking process begins at a winery.

If you are a Wine Grape Levy Payer, you need to include your LRS Account Number from the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (DAWR) when completing the application. If you are not liable to pay the Wine Grapes Levy and do not have a LRS Account Number, you should select ‘Wine Export Charge payer only’.

If you need help obtaining your LRS Account Number, or if you have forgotten it, you must contact DAWR. You can find out more details about the Wine Grape Levy, including links to contact DAWR here. It is important to note that the DAWR are unable to answer questions about your wine export licence application.

Export licence applications can be completed here. The online form should be completed in full, and care should be taken to answer all questions accurately and truthfully.

Note that the applicable licence fee must be paid before your application will be processed. The cost of your export licence will vary depending on your levy payer status. Current fees can be viewed here.

Associated Exporter

An exporter or producer may give permission to another exporter to ship their approved products by becoming associated exporters. The exporter or producer who owns the Continuing Approval Numbers is required to send a signed letter to Wine Australia on company letterhead with the following text:

I, the undersigned, hereby request that (name of Exporter) be added as an Associated Exporter. I acknowledge that (name of Exporter) will be able to enter the Continuing Approval Numbers I provide them to their Shipping Application. I understand this grants the Associated Exporter no additional authorisation beyond the ability to apply for an Export Permit. This is effective immediately and will continue until otherwise notified in writing.

The Associated Exporter must have a current Licence to Export and must obtain the Continuing Approval Numbers from the owner of the numbers. Wine Australia must be advised in writing if the arrangement is discontinued.