- The kinds of personal information we collect
- How we collect personal information
- How we hold personal information
- How we use personal information collected by you
- Who we may disclose your information to
- Access, correction and erasure of your personal information
- Information that may be collected automatically - IP addresses and Cookies
- Your privacy choices and how to make a complaint
- Contact information and Policy updates
- Modify your cookie consent
‘Personal information’ is information about an identifiable individual, as defined by applicable law. We are committed to protecting the privacy of any personal information we hold about individuals in accordance with the applicable laws. As such, we only collect personal information where it is reasonably necessary for us to do so in performing our statutory functions and related activities.
In conducting our statutory role and associated activities, we may collect and hold and hold your personal information if:
- you sign-up or participate in an event being run by us
- you subscribe to communication disseminated by us
- you contribute to or participate in a survey run by us
- you use Our Services
- you are a licensed exporter of wine from Australia
- you are pay a charge or levy through which we are funded
- we procure goods and/or services from you or through your employer or principal, or
- you are employed by us.
The types of personal information we collect and hold will depend on the nature of your dealings with us and may (but does not always) include:
- your name, gender and date of birth
- any information about you which you provide through promotions, competitions or customer surveys
- information collected as part of a levy return process
- your personal and/or work contact information – including postal and residential address, telephone numbers and email addresses
- information provided by you to us via our licensing and approval system (WALAS)
- information about your commercial or business operations within the wine sector
- information about any regional association that you are a member of
- your credit card or account details (during the course of conducting financial transactions with you)
- Australian Business Numbers (which are only used in accordance with the Privacy Act), and
- your opinion on issues relating to the wine sector.
If necessary, we may also ask you to provide it with additional personal information from time to time, including when you call us.
We will always ask you for permission to collect your personal information prior to collecting it.
We may collect personal information from you with consent in the following ways:
- when you access or request information from our Sites
- through the Wine Australia Licensing and Approval system (WALAS)
- when you participate in a competition or trade promotion conducted by us or one of our related companies
- when you participate in a survey
- from you in person at trade shows, road shows, seminars and events
- through social media sites, apps and e-commerce platforms
- in other correspondence with you or your agents, employees or subcontractors
- when you lodge a return through our system in accordance with the requirements of the Primary Industries Levies and Charges Collection Act 1991 (Collection Act) and the Primary Industries Levies and Charges Collection Regulations 1991 (Collection Regulations), and
- in performing our statutory functions.
We hold personal information in physical records, on our information management system or on mailing lists.
We take reasonable steps to hold all hard copy and electronic records of your personal information in a secure manner to ensure that it is protected from misuse, interference and loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We collect, use and exchange your information for the purpose of:
- performing our statutory functions
- managing our relationship with you
- responding to your enquiries
- facilitating the collection of the Wine Export Charge, giving statements of export required to be provided under the regulation 5 of Schedule 35 of the Collection Regulations and assisting you in submitting returns as required under the Collection Regulations
- where you have given us your consent, providing you with (or permitting selected third parties to provide to you with), information on services, events and activities run by Wine Australia
- where you have given us your consent, updating you on issues relating to the wine sector (for example, through distribution of various newsletters)
- conducting specific projects in which you have chosen to participate
- administering events and competitions
- analysing and improving the services (and content) we offer and the events and activities we undertake
- personalising the way that our online content is presented to you and to allow you to participate in interactive features when you choose to do so
- to carry out our obligations arising from contracts entered into between you and us, and
- any other purposes notified to you at the time your personal information is collected.
You may also choose to receive marketing information from us, such as offers regarding Our Services, invitations, or other notifications and offers. In circumstances where we have obtained your consent, we will use your contact and other personal information to contact you at any time in the future to:
- provide you with information and updated information about Our Services;
- obtain sponsorships, provide training and other educational activities, seek consultancy services or to contact you for surveys; and/or
- communicate with you in relation to any other matters in respect of which you have consented to Wine Australia contacting you.
At any time, you may opt out of the use of your personal information for marketing purposes by contacting us at the contact details set out below or by using the unsubscribe mechanism in the relevant marketing material you receive from us.
Your personal information may be disclosed:
- where the use or disclosure is required at law
- to Wine Australia’s related entities, International offices and representatives (for the purpose of Wine Australia’s function and activity only)
- to the Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment for the purpose of facilitating the administration and collection of the Wine Export Charge
- specialist advisors to Wine Australia who have been engaged to provide Wine Australia with legal, administrative, financial, insurance, research, marketing or other services
- where you have given us consent
- to avoid, lessen or prevent a serious emergency or crime. (If we use or disclose personal information about you in those circumstances we will make a written record of such use or disclosure)
- to contractors who provide services to us, including database contractors located overseas
- to third party companies which Wine Australia may have commercial or non-commercial relationships with for the purpose of promoting wine events and products, and
- any other person authorised implicitly or expressly, when the personal information is provided or collected by us.
You may request access to, correction or erasure of your personal information at any time by emailing us at email@example.com. You may also object to data processing for the purposes of profiling used for business interests. There is no requirement for you to provide a reason for such request. We may deny access to personal information where we are required by law to withhold the information, or where the requested access would compromise the privacy of others.
You have a general right to anonymity/pseudonymity when dealing with us. However, if you do not provide us with the personal information that we request, our ability to provide services to you may be diminished.
When using our corporate website (wineaustralia.com), you will have the following options below in relation to tracking technologies such as cookies (‘Cookie Options’):
- Accept All Cookies: This is our default system level and allows the Site’s optimum functionality. It allows all cookies, including third-party cookies, to track your device. You may alter your consent to any of the other two Cookie Options at any time.
- Essential cookies are cookies which are required for all necessary Site functionality. This includes authentication, language selection etc. Your device will not be tracked. You may alter your consent to any of the other two Cookie Options at any time.
- Deny all cookies and tracking means you do not consent to any cookie tracking. Please note that some cookies are essential to the functioning of our Sites and deleting or disabling them will reduce Site functionality.
Digital Asset Library
Click here for more information about cookies used on our digital asset library.
Wine Australia has taken reasonable steps regarding physical and technical access intrusion security measures to protect the personal information we hold against loss, misuse, interference and from unauthorised access, alteration or disclosure. However, if you are considering sending us any personal information through any of our communication channels, please be aware that the information may be insecure in transit, particularly where no encryption is used (e.g. email, standard HTTP). You must also take care to protect your usernames and passwords and notify us as soon as possible if you become aware of any security breaches.
We will refer your complaint to our Privacy Officer who will investigate your complaint and determine the steps that we will undertake to resolve it. We will contact you if we require any additional information from you and will notify you, in writing, of the outcome of the investigation. If you are not satisfied with our determination, you can contact us to discuss your concerns or contact to the Australian Privacy Commissioner via the contact details set out below.
If you have questions or complaints about our privacy practices or procedures or if you would like to request to access, correct or amend any personal information that Wine Australia holds about you, please contact our Privacy Officer in writing at:
Attention: Privacy Officer
Corner Botanic Road and Hackney Road
Adelaide, South Australia 5000
We will do our best to respond to all reasonable requests in a timely manner.
For information about privacy generally, or if you are unsatisfied with our handling of your request or resolving your concerns, you may lodge a complaint with The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or via www.oaic.gov.au.
The website now stores cookies on your computer. You may restrict this to using only some of them or none, however you may not be able to use certain features of the website including but not limited to: sign up, log in, submitting any forms, see personalised content.