About the report
The Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) State of the Wine Industry Report provides a comprehensive and entertaining view of current conditions in the USA wine industry, and a number of predictions for sales growth, pricing, supply and demand for the forthcoming twelve months. It is published annually.
Report summary 2017
In 2017, SVB expects to see:
- growth in premium wine sales of 10 - 14 per cent
- slightly higher overall per capita consumption as reductions due to an increasing proportion of Gen X and Gen Ys who are less wine-loyal are offset by improved economic conditions;
- import growth facilitated by the strong USD and,
- a California grape harvest of 3.95 million tons, 7 per cent about the 2016 harvest.
Highlights of the report include:
- An analysis of premiumisation and restaurant sales
- An overview of changes in varietal demand
- A review of the 2016 harvest by region
- Statistics on bulk wine inventory
- An update on mergers and acquisitions in the industry and vineyard sales
- An overview of consumer cohorts and how they are changing
The report is prepared by Silicon Valley Bank’s Wine Division. The report is based on SVB's in-house expertise as one of the largest bankers to the West Coast wine industry, a proprietary database of more than a decade of winery financials, ongoing research, and an annual survey of more than 500 wineries. Other reports can be found on their website.