About the report
The Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) State of the Wine Industry Report provides a comprehensive and entertaining view of current conditions in the USA wine industry, and a number of predictions for sales growth, pricing, supply and demand for the forthcoming twelve months. It is published annually.
Report summary 2019
The 2019 report identifies seven headwinds and seven tailwinds that are expected to affect wine sales in the next 12 months. The predictions made for 2019 include:
- sales growth in the premium wine segment of 4 - 8 per cent but an overall decline in volume and flat value growth in retail sales;
- ongoing difficulties in engaging millennials in the face of limited financial capacity, anti-alcohol health messages and a preference for other alcohol categories such as spirits and craft beers;
- an increasing share of imported wine at the expense of locally-produced wine and,
- a record California grape harvest of 4.4 million tons and a noticeable decline in grape and bulk wine prices.
Sections of the report include:
- Sales growth trends
- Demographic preferences and buying behaviour
- Forecasting wine demand
- Grape harvest, M&A and supply
- Sales and marketing for family wineries
The report is prepared by Silicon Valley Bank’s Wine Division. The report is based on SVB's in-house expertise as one of the largest bankers to the West Coast wine industry, a proprietary database of more than a decade of winery financials, ongoing research, and an annual survey of more than 500 wineries. Other reports can be found on their website.