About the report
Regional Snapshots are one-page profiles of individual Australian wine regions and provide at-a-glance summary statistics on: climatic characteristics, viticulture data, winegrape production, and winegrape price and export sales data for wine, compared against the same statistics for the whole of Australia.
The reports provide:
- an overview of climate data for the region – including annual and growing season rainfall, Mean January Temperature and Growing Degree Days for the current vintage and averages over two historical time periods
- current vineyard area (last updated 2015)
- winegrape production and yields for grapes from the most recent vintage
- share of grape production and average winegrape prices paid in the most recent vintage for the top five varieties in the region by volume
- total exports and bottled exports by value and volume for the last 12 months, and growth compared with the previous 12 months (based on the region being identified in the wine content or on the label)
- top five export destinations for bottled label claim exports and volume share of exported wine by price point for six price categories from under A$2.50 per litre to A$20.00 per litre and above FOB.
There are graphs showing average winegrape price for the region in each of the past 10 years, giving a historical perspective on the data. Where possible, each figure for the region (apart from the climate data) is compared against the equivalent statistic for the whole of Australia, enabling the regional data to be benchmarked against the national data.
Individual reports are shown below for the top 30 recognised GI regions in Australia - including:
The reports are updated annually. Reports for smaller regions are available on request.
Also see the Variety Snapshots – a similar format report where at-a-glance statistics are provided for each winegrape variety produced in Australia.
The Regional Snapshots draw on information from a number of sources including:
- Australian Wine Sector Survey (Wine Australia)
- Wine Export Approvals Database (Wine Australia)
- ABS vineyard data (report 1329.0)
- James Halliday’s Wine Atlas of Australia.