Selected as the wine partner for the 2016/17 International Woolmark Prize, Wine Australia has been in Paris today showcasing a range of Australian wine at the global finals.
The International Woolmark Prize, an annual competition first held in 1953, celebrates fashion designers that showcase the beauty and versatility of Merino wool. With 35 judges this year, including Victoria Beckham and Natalie Massenet, it is the world’s most prestigious award for rising fashion stars.
The 2016/17 global finals were held today, 23 January, at the Palais de Tokyo in Paris, with the twelve finalists, the judges and around 300 guests in attendance. The wines served at the awards, chosen by Wine Australia’s Laura Jewell MW, showcased the quality and diversity of contemporary Australian wine. The wines were:
- Jansz Premium Cuvee NV, Tasmania
- Peter Lehmann “Black Queen” Sparkling Shiraz, Barossa Valley
- Cape Mentelle Sauvignon Blanc Semillon, Margaret River
- Shaw + Smith “M3” Chardonnay, Adelaide Hills
- Giant Steps “Sexton Vineyard” Pinot Noir, Yarra Valley
- Mount Horrocks Shiraz, Clare Valley
Wine Australia also ran a tasting for the judges, finalists and key media at the VIP Reception at the Residence of the Australian Ambassador to France. Around 80 guests enjoyed a selection of Australian wines, paired to canapés crafted by Australian chef Shaun Kelly. These wines were:
- Pewsey Vale Riesling, Eden Valley
- Shaw + Smith Sauvignon Blanc, Adelaide Hills
- Dalrymple Cave Block Chardonnay, Tasmania
- Innocent Bystander Mea Culpa Syrah, Yarra Valley
- Henschke Henry’s Seven Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre, Barossa Valley
- Cape Mentelle Cabernet Merlot, Margaret River
Laura Jewell MW, Wine Australia Head of Market EMEA, said:
“Home to passionate woolgrowers and talented winemakers, Australia boasts some of the finest quality wool and wine in the world.
We were delighted to team up with The Woolmark Company, one of Australia’s most well-known and respected brands, and be the wine sponsor of the International Woolmark Prize. It is a great collaboration and celebration of artisan and craft producers.
This event gave us the opportunity to engage with the world’s retail and fashion leaders and showcase the sophistication and diversity of Australian wine.”